Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

2/09/2010

The Moment.

I went to church with my roommate on Sunday to this very "seeker-friendly" non-denominational church. I say I went to church, but in reconsidering the afternoon I could rather say that I went to see a U2 cover band and a preacher. (I had to rethink how to describe him, and because I am trying to learn to be more gracious I went with how he would want to be described.) As members of the church participated in the service their "new birthday" flashed on the screen under their names.

During the service I journaled, "When preachers get it PAINFULLY wrong- salvation is not a moment in the middle. Salvation is not praying the Romans Road. It is not fire insurance. It is simply, not that simple. Seeking doesn't end when we become a Christian. Following doesn't start when we become a Christian. We are called to "work out" our salvation."

Philippians 2:12-13 (NIV) 12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Woe to the man that teaches Salvation is man's business or action or choice or that salvation is a "moment." I am reminded that a culture of tracts is a modern invention. C.S. Lewis described his own salvation as though he had been "waking up from a dream." He began to live the life as a Christian as he sought God, and somewhere in that seeking, He was found. He says that one day during church he realized the he believed. He didn't know when it happened, but he was assured of his salvation. This model of needing a "moment" is flawed and denies the faith of many. I must state here that I acknowledge that this model has been helpful and illuminating to many, and therefore has great value, however, Salvation is simply not that simple.

America and the West rests too heavily on an experimental "moment." What about tradition? What about sacrament? This is why people have to be re-baptized because we invalidate any path toward salvation that does not align neatly in our accepted terms of salvation. Is it our job to judge the way or to worship The Way?

Soundtrack: Beautiful Day, U2

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment