Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

2/08/2010

How do you respond?

I recently had an older lady that I know through Christian circles tell me that she believes in reincarnation. I stood there stunned not knowing how to respond. As a southern young lady I have been taught to honor my elders, however, I am a bold woman of faith. The paradox within me was crippling. I found myself struck with a loss for how to respond, and I am not often without words or thoughts or opinions. She shared with me a fully developed understanding of where she had lived and who she had been "in her past life." If she had been some punk 7th grader I would have known exactly what to say. I would have been clear and distinct. I wanted to scream. I wanted to ask her dozens of questions, but I didn't.

Do we miss opportunities to evangelize the elderly because we are afraid of being disrespectful? She is a church goer. She worships on a regular basis. But, has she missed the gospel message? Is it possible to have gone to church 80 years, having cooked meals and made quilts and attended prayer meeting without ever having encountered the risen Lord? Have we failed her by making church about pot lucks and Sunday School? Was I disobedient in not correcting her? I just stood there stunned. Have mercy on me for my inability to speak. Have mercy on her ignorance.

Soundtrack: I will not forget, Enter the Worship Circle

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment