Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

2/10/2010

Credo

"Christians who first said credo ("I believe"") did not do so lightly, but at the risk of their lives under severe persecution. We listen closely to those who are prepared to sacrifice their lives for their belief. To say credo genuinely is to speak fro the heart, to reveal who one is by confessing one's essential belief the faith that makes life worth living. One who says credo without willingness to suffer, and if necessary die, for the faith has not genuinely said credo" (Oden, Classic Christianity, p.8).

I am taking Basic Christian Doctrine with Dr. Steve Seamands this semester. The above passage was part of my required reading for this week. It impacted me in a significant way. I began to wonder what would happen if we as Western American Christians said our creeds as though our life was in the line and we had no fear of it. How amazing! Can I say this creed every time with the passion and conviction that I am putting my life in danger just by proclaiming what my heart believes?

The Apostle's Creed is genuinely one of my favorite things of having grown up Methodist. I have said this creed weekly for the better part of 30 years. It has seeped into my soul and carved itself on my heart. My heart needs to hear spoken out loud what my head and mouth proclaim. My heart renews its faith by proclaiming that I believe these things. If I am given the opportunity to marry I want the act of saying credo to be my first act as a married couple. I want to transition from "I believe" to "We believe" in a ceremonious way. I want to proclaim that I trust that my family will live by a faith in a triune God that is good and provides for my needs.

Oden goes on to say that originally the creeds were used as a way to teach catechism candidates the basic tenants of the faith so that when they are baptized they will understand to what they are giving themselves. They would memorize the creeds. They would carry around in their hearts the truth given to them so that they would never forget who they are. I can't help but compare it to the way we train our soldiers to respond in a prisoner of war situation. They are to repeat their names and rank. They are prepared to give their lives for this cause, and yet they find the strength to stand in harms way by repeating who they are over and over again. I am reminded that I am redeemed and loved by a gracious God when I say the creeds. My identity is not my own, but instead that which he has given me.

I believe in God the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord:
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.

Soundtrack: Doxology, David Crowder Band.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment