Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

3/02/2010

Three in One, the great Mystery

"No sooner do I conceive of the One that I am illumined by the Splendor of the Three; no sooner do I distinguish Them than I am carried back to the one. When I think of any One of the Three I think of Him as the Whole, and my eyes are filled, and the greater part of what I am thinking escapes me. I cannot grasp the greatness of That One so as to attribute a greater greatness to the Rest. When I contemplate the Three together, I see but one torch, and cannot divide or measure out the Undivided Light." (Gregory Nazianus, Orat. 40, 41, On Holy Baptism)

We are discussing the mystery of the Trinity in one of my classes right now, and I think this quote really speaks to the heart of how we should interact with the Triune God that we worship. Until we are humbled by the greatness of God, we are incapable of submitting to Him. However, that does not mean that we should abandon our pursuit of the the knowledge of the Holy, but instead we should let what we discover rightly grant us the appropriate posture necessary for worshipping the only One worthy. Gregory's inability to hold both concepts of God's threeness and His oneness at the same time illustrates how profoundly more God is than us. The mystery of God testifies to His worthiness. Praise be God, Father Son and Holy Spirit!

Soundtrack: Trinity, Jennifer Knapp

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment