Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

3/17/2010

Portion

We celebrate the Eucharist every Wednesday during chapel. I enjoy Wednesday chapels. Communion is a different experience when the worshipping body is full of people preparing for ministry. Intentionality rests in the open spaces. The mystery rests heavily on the congregation. I watch people during Communion, and this is not a new practice. I have always watched as people leave the kneeling rail. I think the facial expressions we hold after taking in the body and blood of Christ tells a lot about where we are in our spiritual life. As a child I remember observing how many people were picking the wafer out of their teeth while walking down the aisle. So, I watch. We face the table, and J. D. lifts high the bread and wine. Many of the students have the order of worship memorized, so there is this great sense that the congregation genuinely understands what is happening. I often grieve that the church is passive about this sacrament. OK, I often grieve that the Protestant Church is passive about sacrament in general. But, here, I sense a unity in understanding of the greatness of Communion. We use the intinction method, and each server holds both bread and wine. This means that the individual takes the bread off the loaf and dips it into the juice while the server stands there holding the elements. I was watching today as people took their portion. I remember serving Communion as a youth minister, and the portion that kids break off varies significantly. Adults typically take modest pieces. Here, the portion that people take is almost always significantly larger than what adults usually break off. I can hear the hearts of my peers say as they break the bread off, "I want more of You, Jesus. I want as much of You as I can take." Over and over again, the students step forward and break off a generous portion. It's beautiful. We remember our brokenness in the brokenness of Jesus. We accept the healing and wholeness that the cross offers. Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Soundtrack: How Beautiful, Twila Paris

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment