Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

3/14/2010

Donald Miller

Donald Miller spoke at a major church near by this weekend. I went to hear him Sunday morning and then went back Sunday night for a Q & A. Donald Miller wrote a book that influenced my life, and I would love to be his friend. His literary voice is similar to mine. It was an honor to hear him speak in person.

During his talk he said, "God is perfectly satisfied with Adam experiencing the conflict of needing a helpmate." Something was off, man was in need. The world was good, not perfect. All of this occurred before the fall. God is OK with us struggling. God is fine with us experiencing tension. God sees value in our dissatisfaction. He is OK with the uncomfortable. There is something of strength and grace in that moment that makes it teachable. He doesn't leave us there, but He lets us soak up the truth, the uniqueness of that moment.

I am reminded of cabin time with my Young Life girls. After asking the difficult question I would often just sit in the quiet, in the tension. I believe that the Lord can minister more in the silence than I can in a thousand words. When God brings us to that moment that feels painfully uncomfortable and we want to rush ahead to the pay off; let us revel in the awkward, the quiet, the unspoken, even if it is for a very short time. Let us appreciate what is particularly great about the anticipation.

The good news is that God didn't leave Adam alone. He didn't leave him in the quiet darkness. He provided exactly what Adam needed, all in due time. God seems to enjoy this teaching tool. It's what we find in the time frame between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. The quiet of that weekend makes the Sunday rejoice, "Up from the Grave He Arose!" all the more exuberant!

Soundtrack: Somewhere Past the Quiet, Bebo Norman

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment