Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

3/12/2010

airports functioning in spiritual formation

I am currently stuck at the Lexington Airport. As far as airports go, this one falls short. Airports are great places to hang out when they are as big as Atlanta, Chicago, or any other major city. There is 1 bar and 1 souvenir shop and not much else. It does have free Wi-Fi, so I am thankful for the opportunity to blog.

This week 3 of my 4 nieces have had birthdays, and they have a planned birthday party for tomorrow. I intended to go home and celebrate with them. It is apparently spring break, and flights are full to the brim. Additionally, it is raining in Atlanta, which means that flights EVERYWHERE are delayed. To add an extra complication to the mix the second flight I should have been on now had a mechanical malfunction causing it to cancel. All of that means that it is unrealistic to think I am getting out of Lexington today, and unlikely that I am going home this weekend.

I have had some hours to observe those around me. It is amazing how we reveal our character when we are put in frustrating situations. Americans are simply addicted to entitlement. We are addicted to "me." Some people are managing, and some are having a significant increase in blood pressure. There is a man sitting in front of me that is redder than a tomato, and I am a little scared for his health. Is there anything that deserves that kind of response? All of the changes today in planes and flight plans are safety related. Ultimately, air travel is risky, and I am grateful for the wisdom of air traffic control. I only want to be on a plane if the circumstances are right. I am hearing my heart rejoice for the great opportunity I was given as a child to be in this very situation over and over again. We have flown stand-by my whole life. It taught me to be grateful for the blessings I am given because they aren't guaranteed. It taught me to put people (customers) first. It taught me to be patient. It taught me to be spontaneous, which I am sure makes it easier for me to be sensitive to the Spirit. Being in the midst of difficult situations can change your integrity. The more you find your identity and joy in the eternal, the easier it is to find peace in changing circumstances.

Incidentally, the gate agent working right now is amazing. She is firm and kind. She is helpful and resolute. She is managing the situation like a pro.

It is unfortunate that I will probably not get to celebrate with my nieces this weekend, but it is not the end of the world. I have loved on them enough that I can trust our relationship is firm. I wish I could hug them, but my world doesn't end if I can't.

May you find yourself in circumstances that cause you to remember that this world is temporal.

Soundtrack: Waiting on the World to Change, John Mayer

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment