Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

12/31/2009

viva la cinema

What has happened to the film industry? Why is the landscape so bare and flat? By now you must know I am quite the film buff. I like to see the movies that are nominated for big awards, particularly the Golden Globes and, of course, the Oscars. I am that nerd that prints out a ballot, highlights the movies that I've seen, and list my predictions and my picks. I usually do pretty well on the major categories and kind of guess at the technical awards. Regardless, I have been following film in a meaningful way for about 12 years now. I have noticed a significant decline in the quality of the films being produced; not in a moral character kind of way in which many Christians ignorantly complain, but instead in the creative quality and overall excellence. I tend to care more about the "talent" part of film making, so I am basing my observance mostly on the performances of actors, directors, and writers. Let's go over the movies nominated for best picture drama and musical/comedy for the Golden Globes this year.

Avatar: I haven't seen it yet, but I don't get the hype. I appreciate that it is innovative in the way we do CGI... bla bla bla. Whatever. I can't get myself excited about going to see it because I don't see plot or performance when I see the trailer.

The Hurt Locker: Good, poignant. Worthy of a nom.

Inglorious Bastards: Interesting. Creative. Typical Quentin Tarintino.

Precious: Powerful, profound, sad. Worthy of a nom.

Up in the Air: Indulgent, predictable, and disappointing.

500 Days of Summer: Charming, delightful.

The Hangover: Bathroom humor at it's finest.

It's Complicated: The only thing notable in this movie is John Krasinski's comedic timing.

Julie and Julia: Lovely, smart with great performances. Worthy of a nom.

Nine: OK for a musical. Marion Cotillard was spectacular.

The sad thing is that the only movie I deem worthy of a win, Invictus, wasn't even nominated for a golden globe. And the rest of the landscape this year is painfully bleak. It is a sad sad day when you can only come up with 4 movies genuinely worthy of an Oscar nomination in 1 year. And here we are at the cusp of a new day when we will have 10 nominations. Pinning a medal on a pile of dung doesn't make it smell better. Why falsely celebrate terrible movies? I don't get it.

Let us compare to 1999 when American Beauty rightfully won for best picture. In that year the other 4 movies nominated were all also superb: The Cider House Rules, The Green Mile, The Insider, and The Sixth Sense. Not nominated that year were Girl, Interrupted; Fight Club, Boys Don't Cry, Magnolia, Being John Malchovich, Notting Hill, The Talented Mr. Ripely, The Matrix, Star Wars Episode I, and Angela's Ashes.

In the not nominated category I see 3 of my top 10 favorite movies of all time, and possibly my favorite chick-flick. I often have movies that I love dearly. I am not delusional enough to think that my quirky taste should reflect America's cinematic history, however, I believe we can do better. Girl, Interrupted challenged me and affected me deeply. I think Angelina's performance was spectacular, and it has a lot to do with why I am fascinated with her. Saying that, I do not think it should have been best picture that year or even nominated for that matter. It appealed to me, but did not meet my "best picture" criteria which is that a movie should be entertaining, inspiring, do well at the box office, and be technically/creatively executed flawlessly. I am not saying that all Oscar best pictures should post Titanic numbers. And I am certainly not saying that Avatar deserves best picture because it made money. I think a "best picture" should have all of those qualities. This year 500 Days of Summer was my favorite movie, but it shouldn't be nominated for best picture. This year best picture should go to Invictus simply because it is the only movie that meets all of my criteria.

How does this happen? What went wrong in Hollywood? Where are the movies that entertain, inspire, do well at the box office, and are executed flawlessly? Shouldn't all movies hold up to this standard? We should not have to endure having The Hangover as a Golden Globe winner, much less an Academy Award winner. Revolt! Hollywood: Make better movies, please!

Soundtrack: You Make My Dreams, Hall & Oats

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment