Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

12/07/2009

i've been thinking

I have been thinking about what the perfect couple is. I have had several friends get married recently or will get married soon, and that always makes me think about what I want in a relationship. I have decided that I think the best relationships are the ones where one person is really into something that the other person enjoys. That makes them the expert who gets to teach the other one all about their passion. For instance, I love good movies. I would love to marry someone that kinda likes good movies, but isn't as interested in all the nerdy details as I am. I look forward to days when I have picked out a great movie that we can both enjoy. There are a lot of things that I enjoy but that I don't think about doing on my own. This is one of the elements that makes a great friend. I have a friend that is really interested in fashion, and I have enjoyed her teaching me things about fashion. I have a friend with great taste in music, and because of him I appreciate music on a different level. My friend Laura is getting married, and during her bachelorette evening she asked the girls for advice. Most of them are married, and the advice turned to TV at one point. Now, I know this is a very small part of the bigger picture, but I think it applies. They were complaining about their husband's "shows" and talking about how much their husbands hate some of their shows. Why can't we watch TV together and take it as a learning experience. There is nothing on TV that should cause conflict in a marriage. Sit and ask why your partner enjoys that show. Sure, having compromise shows that you can both enjoy like The Office is a great strategy. However, I think it is more beneficial to learn to love what your partner loves. Finding a partner should expand your life. There are so many things that I would love to learn more about, but I know that I will never take the initiative to do them on my own. Do you know anyone that likes photography, hiking, camping, concerts, plays the guitar, sings, surfs, plays ultimate, can drive a stick shift, knows something about french cuisine or working out, loves to dance, water skis, plays golf, or any number of things. I would love to know more about all of that stuff, and I think having someone that can teach me about them would be great.
Soundtrack: Everybody, Ingrid Michaelson and Next Best Thing, Nikki & Rich and Show Me what I'm looking for, Carolina Liar


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment