Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

9/09/2010

intimacy

Today was Convocation, and it was hectic. Some convocation services can best be described as frivolous and over indulgent. (I have never attended an ATS convocation service, so that comment is not a reflection on any institution. Rather, it is a comment on all convocation services around the world.) The prayer over today was that all that was done in Estes would capture our attention toward the vastness and greatness of our God. I believe that was accomplished.

I could talk about Dr. Tennent's sermon which embodied the direction of this institution, Missional Holiness. But, you really should just listen to it yourself.

http://www.asburyseminary.edu/chapel/kentucky-chapel Follow the instructions there. It may not be up yet, but check back in until you get a chance to listen.

I could talk about how overwhelmed I am that I get to do this. I get to worship in Estes 3 days a week. I get to participate in the execution of that worship. I get to use my gifts, the quirky culmination of how God created me, to His glory in the most satisfying ways.

I could talk about the thunderous roll of the organ.

But instead, I want to tell you about this little moment that I saw. I know other people saw it, but it was too good to keep to myself. Following Dr. Tennent's address we sang a new Hymn by the talented and humble Julie Tennent, Dr. Tennent's wife. It too was titled Missional Holiness. This is a team that shares a vision. She brought melody and he brought power to the vision and calling that they share. When we were completing the last stanza he looked over at her and just raised his eyebrows with a goofy grin. She smiled and dropped her head. The intimacy of their love for one another as it serves the Lord took my breath. Beautiful. The Lord created us to enjoy THIS kind of intimacy. May it be so in your life and in mine!

Soundtrack: Missional Holiness, Julie Tennent


Share/Bookmark


1 comment:

  1. Jill,

    I, too, caught this moment. I was so moved by it, I think it was the only thing about convocation that I shared with my husband. I'm so glad that someone else was witness to this sweet, tender moment of intimacy.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete