Soundtrack/Backpack

All of the blog posts have a "soundtrack" listed. I firmly believe we feel things more deeply when we associate a thought or experience to a song. I pray the Spirit will use my words and these songs to draw you in deeper into the love and grace of the Triune God!

Some posts have a "backpack" item. Simply, these are books that I would suggest for further reading on a given topic.

1/31/2010

a special table

I had a table tonight in which both customers were hearing impaired. I was a little shocked when I went up to the table and no one answered when I asked them how they were doing. Shortly after the man started to point at items on the menu and make some sounds. Immediately I understood, and took their order. I think it is difficult to be in circumstances where basic communication is hindered such as a cross cultural experience. I enjoy traveling, and I have found that the language barrier has always been the most difficult part of traveling out of the country. But, here I was in my own home town at one of the most familiar and safest places I can imagine, and I was lost for words because I do not know sign language. I went upstairs and found some instructional videos for some words that I might find helpful. I learned "Enjoy," which is what I always tell a customer when I give them their food. I learned "Your Welcome" and a few other things. When I used to newly acquired signs the table was ecstatic. The gentleman began to sign like crazy, and even though I didn't understand any of that, he knew that I was willing to engage and understand his culture just a little bit. It is amazing how much someone entering our world can affect our appreciation for that person.

How greater still is Christ, the word made flesh? He entered our world and understood us fully. What a good and glorious God we serve!

Soundtrack: He will come, Waterdeep

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment